Sunday, May 18, 2008

This or That

I*ve decided to put my *Free Items* section on hiats for a few days until i gather opintions. I had 4 people tell me it was a bad idea because it would draw someone to my site just for the free stuff ( you just pay the shipping & handling) & they would never come back to buy anything. I had another saying it would cater to the wrong crowd then continued to say it ment i had no confidence in my work. I wanted to get opinions from you guys out there & other etsians. With the gas prices at $4 a gallon & other non sense i just want people to be able to enjoy something I*ve created. I had 2 people tell me with the economy the way it is they couldn*t afford it but they loved what they saw on the free page. They saved money & got what they want. I*m only doing this for a limited time to get my new website out there. The piece I*m selling are just like the ones in my etsy shop. There is nothing wrong with them, they arnt damaged.

I love etsy & i love that selling pieces to someone makes them happy. Please take the poll & you can feel free to leave your comment but please be nice about it as the ladies yesterday were not. By the way - i have loads of confidence :D

8 people had something to say:

Lady Bracknell said...

Personally, my conscience wouldn't allow me to take up one of the free items without also paying for another item.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that not everyone's conscience works that way...

Leslie said...

lol I thought about that, but so far I*ve had a few people take me up on the free stuff & they*ve all bought multiple items. The most was 4 items at once.

Unknown said...

I think a limited time promotion is a great idea...it can help to get the ball rolling and people talking about your shop. At the end of the day, if your products are well made and either beautiful or useful (which they appear to be!) that is what will keep them coming back.

Good luck!
christy

Anonymous said...

Personally I think free stuff (for a limited time only) is a great idea. Good luck!

skatej said...

Hey thanks for posting!
I think I would just keep worrying about how much someone spent to make it and feel guilty. But I think I have a complex or something. For a limited time might work and then you could say "please bookmark my shop" or "please come again" on the site so people have that reminder...

Looking Glass Jewels said...

I think your motives for a free section are incredible! There will always be those who feel "free = cheap". But that is just too broad a statement, and if you state your reasons for the freebies (like you did in this post) then I think most people will understand. It's good marketing, good karma, and it's great to know people can enjoy your work who maybe could not otherwise.

Go for it! Just be prepared to hear negative feedback from the nay-sayers. It's your shop, your product, your rules!

Leslie said...

Thanks Looking glass. I*m only going to do it for a few days. so far so good. a lot of people have bought & have bought multiple items. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

missknits said...

i think its gotta be a personal call. I can see both sides of it really. I think you first of all shouldnt undermine the value of what you make! but i also understand the pure joy of seeing others just love what you make. I have done a lot of PIF's, which i do love doing. But you can never do a pif in hopes of getting a sale from it. same goes for freebies.